Here’s a little secret for you: you don’t have to be great at massage to give your partner an amazing, romantic massage experience.
Your massage accounts for only a small part of the overall experience. The rest of the encounter is heightened by the ambiance you create and the anticipation you build.
Ideally, by the time you get to the actual massage, your sweetie will already be bowled over by your efforts at romance, so much so that they’ll instantly melt beneath your hands.
So what do you need to create a great romantic massage at home?
Here is your complete checklist:
Soft music, flickering candles and even some seductive foods make for the perfect setting.
- Dim the lights
- Clean and tidy your space
- Heat the room to the perfect temperature
- Tea light or votive candles
- Your partner’s favourite chilled music
- Turn off the TV
- Switch off the phone
- Outsource/distract the children/housemates
The Massage Equipment
Grab everything you need for your massage and have it close by. Once you begin by putting your hands on your partner, you shouldn’t have to leave for any reason.
- Towels or a soft blanket for the floor (you don’t want massage oil in your carpet)
- Hand towel on standby for wiping off oil later
- Small footstool or sturdy pillows
- Your favourite massage oil
- Large towel or sarong to wrap around your partner while massaging them
- Hair tie for your partner if they have long hair
- TV, laptop or iPad if you’re streaming the Melt: Massage for Couples video courses
The Romantic Massage Optional Extras
If you want to take your romantic massage night up a notch, here are some decadent additions you can consider for an ultimate seduction.
- Fruit and cheese platter
- Bottle of wine
- Blindfold (cut off one sense, all the others heighten… this will make your massage feel even better!)
- Hot bubble bath
Let me explain how the ultimate romantic massage would work: you book your partner ahead of time for a special “mystery date night” and then go and get yourself organised.
On the night, start by drawing your partner a relaxing bubble bath. Make sure you’ve set the bathroom up with a few candles and music, perhaps hand them a cup of tea or a glass of wine one their way into the bathroom, let them know you’d like them to relax and you’ll be back to get them in a little while.
As they’re soaking in the tub, you’ll set up your massage space using the checklist above. Then, head back to the bathroom with blindfold in hand. Collect your partner and have them leave their towel on, or pop on a robe.
Slip the blindfold around their eyes and carefully lead them to the massage space. Settle them in their spot, hand them a glass of wine and perhaps even hand feed them a few strawberries while you get yourself set up.
Gently whisper to them that you’re going to give them a massage. Settle in behind them and start to follow-along to one of our carefully designed massage routines. Ideally, you will have already practiced some techniques at another time with your partner. This is just taking your practical knowledge from good to amazing, knee-weakening, classic romance.
And watch them Melt in your hands…